The man traveled to Grand Rapids, Manitoba via bus on May 3, 2003. He checked into the Northbrook Inn at either 3:30 AM or PM, under the name "Deoung Cheron" paying in cash, and being given room 7. At 6:00 PM, cleaning staff entered his room to find him in his chair, hanging from a ligature.
- Short, black hair.
- Brown eyes.
- 1-centimeter scar on left index finger.
- 4-centimeter scar on left forearm.
- It's believed Deoung was of Chinese or Korean descent and not from Manitoba.
- If Deoung was Korean, he most likely left Korea as a child, as all Korean citizens are fingerprinted once they turn 18.
Clothing and accessories
- A green "IZOD" golf shirt in a large size.
- A "Saint John's Bay" spring synthetic jacket in a large size.
- Beige "Docker" pants.
- A brown leather belt.
- Brown leather shoes.
- Jewelry was present, but a description has never been released.
- A small black nylon bag containing herbal medication that was prescribed to "Seng Dae Park."
- A bus ticket stub from Winnipeg or Thompson with the name of the buyer being "Dung."