The man's remains were discovered inside a tent at a campsite in Flat Tops, an area of White River National Forest. He had extensive and high-quality dental work.
The first page of the notebook that was found with the remains is addressed to "Lib" and reads:
"I should write in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey." "Would like for you to claim the body . . . services or memoreal. Cremation."
The next section could not be determined, although individual words such as "I" and "thought" and "favor" or "flavor" could be seen. More text could be interpreted on another page, but the writer's point is not clear. This sections reads:
"Third choice take them up in a glider (I promise not to get sick on you,"
After this point, the writing becomes illegible, however, some common words which are identifiable are "this," "you" and "not". On another page, the writing reads: "ar on the . . . would you call her...d have it sent...you because I . . . want it to . . . where."
Some other parts of the recovered fragment also reads: "be . . . er . . . my . . . s are going."
Clothing & Additional Items
- Fragments of a sleeping cushion, blue backpack, and a brown sleeping bag were found with the body.
- His clothing and accessories included brown and black Timberland hiking boots, a yellow-green plastic poncho, a black belt with long underwear fragments, a pair of blue wool socks with duct tape around the toes, and a blue and black Jansport backpack. He was also found with thin-rimmed reading glasses and thin-rimmed sunglasses with both lenses intact.
- His jewelry included a wristwatch with roman numerals.
- His toiletries included a blue hairbrush, an empty Tylenol bottle, fingernail clippers, tweezers, a package of foam earplugs, and a package of razor blades.
- He also had cash in the form of six $100 bills, one $10 bill, one $5 bill, and five $1 bills. They were dated no more than five years prior.
- His bedding included a green camping pillow and a Slumberjack sleeping bag.
- His camping equipment included a green Eureka dome tent, a butane stove with two fuel cans, a sweetwater water-filtration kit, tent repair kit, two green plastic military-style canteens, a round red and blue canteen, a compass, aluminium cooking pot, a spoon, and two drinking cups.
- There were also two National Geographic moisture-proof trail maps of the Flat Tops area with a route drawn across them to the area where the remains were discovered. *There were games found that included a "4 in 1" Radio Shack game and a pocket-sized Battleship.
- Additional items found include a magnifying glass, a pair of binoculars, 20 packs of Camel unfiltered cigarettes, 8 multi-colored butane lighters, 2 plastic zipper bags, a bell, pepper spray, and a roll of duct tape.
- A green spiral notebook with a hand-drawn depiction a heart with figures inside, including what appears to be a cat was also found.